Monday, September 24, 2007

Ananda Ashram 1972 Group Photo

During the Summer of 1972, we went up to Ananda Ashram in Monroe,N.Y., for a weekend program of yoga and meditation. The grounds of the Ashram are located on a beautiful mountain lake. It was truly a place where one could leave behind their problems and focus on spiritual growth.

I asked Dr. Mishra if I could take a group picture, and he kindly obliged. He also praised my photographic talents, which was an unexpected pleasant surprise. I continued to photograph and video tape Dr. Mishra as opportunities presented themselves over the next twenty one years.

Dr. Mishra is in the front row on the right, as you face the picture.

We left NYC at the end of 1973 for Texas. During our first week in Florida after graduating UT Dallas in 1978, I received a traffic ticket for a wrong turn in N. Miami Beach, and went to traffic school in N. Miami Beach High School.

During our break I came across Edith Epstein, Swami Naranda, teaching a Hatha Yoga Class.She told me her Guru was Dr. Mishra. Later I studied Hatha Yoga with her, and completed her teacher's training course.

If you click on: http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=Shel+Stein you can view videos of Dr. Mishra and Swami Naranda . They are also in my photo blog.

A new version of "Fundamentals of Yoga" is being worked on and should be available soon from the bookstore at www.anandaashram.org . George Leone was kind enough to give me a heads up on this new revision.

1 comment:

I_ArtMan said...

i spent some weeks there in 1966.

right now i am at that point in my blog wherin i am writing anecdotes from my life.

i wish i could use this picture to help illustrate the story of s.

I_ArtMan@operamail.com

http://my.opera.com/I_ArtMan/blog